Home » Policies & Compliance » Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR)

How do I Find Out the Regulatory and Compliance Requirements for my Research?

The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research (OVCR) provides programs and services to help you meet the ethical and regulatory requirements for the responsible conduct of research. The chart below provides information on how to meet those requirements and contact information for the units that offer support.

Printer-friendly PDF version of this Fact Sheet

If you You need to
Have a laboratory or oversee research work
  • Ensure that you and your personnel have received the appropriate training
  • Be prepared to deal with emergencies; have a written plan and appropriate spill response materials; ensure that personnel are familiar with the plan; and maintain current information on door signs for emergency personnel
  • Manage conflicts of commitment and interest that may arise
  • Conduct research and publication activities according to accepted ethical standards
Conduct research or teaching activities involving animals
Obtain information about living individuals through interaction or intervention OR obtain private information from or about humans (including human specimens)
  • Review information on the Institutional Review Board (IRB) website
  • Submit an IRB 1 or an IRB Application for Exemption along with funding proposals if applicable
  • Obtain approval before initiating your research
  • Submit a renewal form at least once annually
Conduct research with human materials; any plant, animal, or human pathogens; transgenic plants or animals; nonhuman primate materials; biotoxins; wild mammal materials; or recombinant DNA
Work with chemicals
  • Have a written Chemical Hygiene Plan (CHP) that addresses the safe use, proper storage, engineering controls, personal protective equipment, and emergency response procedures for chemicals in your laboratory
  • Make sure laboratory personnel are familiar with and follow the CHP requirements and use Material Safety Data Sheets appropriately
Work with radioactive materials
  • Obtain a radiation permit from DRS. The facilities, equipment, and procedures required to work safely with these materials will be addressed in the registration or permitting
Generate hazardous waste in the laboratory
  • Know the options and requirements for disposal of biological, chemical and radiological waste- DRS provides free collection and disposal of most laboratory wastes
Receive, ship, provide for shipment, or transport hazardous material to or from off-campus locations
  • Determine, before shipping, whether the biological material or chemical substance (e.g. dry ice) is considered a hazardous material by the Department of Transportation
  • Understand that shipping or transporting hazardous materials internationally may have additional requirements
  • Obtain appropriate training required for the function you perform in shipping and/or receiving of hazardous materials. Contact DRS for more information
Use biological safety cabinets
  • Get your cabinet certified at the time of installation, annually thereafter, and at any time the unit is re-located, then send certification report to DRS
Work with analytical X-ray machines or operate lasers
  • Register the machine with DRS and develop a written safety plan and safe operating procedures
Are going on sabbatical leave or will be absent more than 30 days.
  • Appoint a person familiar with laboratory procedures to oversee the laboratory in your absence
  • Ensure that there is a named co-investigator who has the authority to make any necessary decisions regarding animal use on any animal use protocol
  • Notify the Grants and Contracts Office, Post-Award Administration (GCO) and the Sponsor, if you have a sponsored project
Are resigning or leaving the University
  • Arrange for final disposal of all biological, chemical, and radiological materials
  • Decontaminate all work surfaces and perform a radiation survey, if applicable
  • Leave the laboratory clean for the next occupant
  • Contact the IACUC to terminate any animal use protocol or amend protocol to name new investigator
  • Contact the GCO, if you have a sponsored project
Have Intellectual Property (IP) that might be patentable, or could be copyright protected, want to discuss disclosing IP, licensing IP, need confidentiality agreements for existing IP or agreements to transfer materials off campus.
Need assistance with review of:
  • Proposals for - sponsored project budgets; scope of work; application of facilities and administrative (indirect) or fringe benefit costs; and cost sharing
  • Grants and contracts for - technical testing agreements; transfer of materials into the University; nondisclosure agreements; unique research related agreements; research agreement intellectual property issues
  • Research gifts/unrestricted grants


Need information on academic research policies

  • Contact Office of Sponsored Programs and Research Administration (OSPRA)
  • Submit all proposals for approval by your unit and OSPRA
  • Submit all award documents associated with sponsored projects to OSPRA (excluding Intellectual Property or off-campus Material Transfer Agreements addressed by OTM)
  • Forward all Material Transfer Agreements (in), Non-Disclosure Agreements (in or reciprocal), and Software License Agreements that do not require payment to the OSPRA for review before signing
  • Contact the GCO for questions related to post-award administration (e.g. award set up, billing, reporting, allowable costs)