Understand What's Required

Navigate the Rules and Regulations

The OVCRI provides programs and services to help you meet your research goals and comply with the federal, state, and university regulations that govern the conduct of research at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Due to the complexity of many research projects, researchers are likely to interact with multiple compliance units.

Research Training Portal


Compliance and Safety at Illinois

As a UIUC faculty, student, or staff member involved in research, you may be required to complete special training, disclose information, maintain records, and understand rules and regulations. Learn more below. 



How Compliance May Apply to You

Oversee Laboratory or Research Work

If you are responsible for a research team, make sure you understand financial management, conflicts of commitment and interest, research safety, and best practices for giving credit for work. Training is key! You might like to review resources related to:

Research and Teaching Using Animals

Research Using People, Personal Information, or Human Specimens

  • Review information on the Office for the Protection of Research Subjects website.
  • Submit a "Protocol Form" or an “Exempt Form” along with funding proposals if applicable.
  • Obtain approval before initiating your research.
  • Submit a renewal form at least once annually.

Work with Chemicals

  • Have a written Laboratory Safety Plan that addresses the safe use, proper storage, engineering controls, personal protective equipment, and emergency response procedures for chemicals in your laboratory.
  • Make sure laboratory personnel are familiar with and follow the safety plan requirements and use Safety Data Sheets appropriately.

Research with Human Materials, Pathogens, Transgenic Plants or Animals, Nonhuman Primate Materials, Biotoxins, Wild Mammal Materials, or Recombinant DNA

Register your project with the Institutional Biosafety Committee through the Division of Research Safety (DRS) and obtain approval before initiating your research.

Work with Analytical X-Ray Machines or Lasers

Register the machine with DRS and develop a written safety plan and safe operating procedures.

Work with Radioactive Materials

Obtain a radiation permit from DRS. The facilities, equipment, and procedures required to work safely with these materials will be addressed in the registration or permitting.

Hazardous Waste in the Laboratory

Receive, Ship, or Transport Hazardous Material

  • Determine, before shipping, whether the biological material, radioactive material or chemical substance (e.g., dry ice) is considered a hazardous material by the Department of Transportation.
  • Understand that shipping or transporting hazardous materials internationally may have additional requirements.
  • Obtain appropriate training required for the function you perform in shipping and/or receiving of hazardous materials–contact DRS for more information.

Biological Safety Cabinets

Get your cabinet certified at the time of installation, annually thereafter, and at any time the unit is relocated, then send certification report to DRS.

Sabbatical Leave or an Absence of More Than 30 Days

  • Appoint a person familiar with laboratory procedures to oversee the laboratory in your absence.
  • Ensure that there is a named co-investigator who has the authority to make any necessary decisions regarding animal use on any animal use protocol.
  • Notify Sponsored Programs Administration and the sponsor if you have a sponsored project.

Resigning or Leaving the University

  • Arrange for final disposal of all biological, chemical, and radiological materials.
  • Decontaminate all work surfaces and perform a radiation survey, if applicable.
  • Leave the laboratory clean for the next occupant.
  • Contact the IACUC to terminate any animal use protocol or amend protocol to name new investigator.
  • Contact Sponsored Programs Administration, if you have a sponsored project.

Intellectual Property Concerns/Assistance with IP Disclosure, Licensing, Transfer, or Agreements

Student Data and FERPA